Skip to main content

Here and There

There are many beggars in India. They are everywhere. In cities, villages, at Railway station, temples, bus stops, at signals. I heard in Mumbai there are beggars who are even millionaire. But, when they ask money to me, I am always confused, to give or to avoid. Sometimes I feel they are poor and I should give some money and sometime I feel by giving money I am encouraging this act. And I don't want to encourage it. So, its unending confusion to me. At the same time I always try to judge them if he/she is really in need. I try to see, can they earn money by working somewhere or they are just lazy and looking for easy begging money. But sometime I feel very sad to see small kids begging for money, or a lady standing in rain or in hot sun by holding a small pale kid. I feel so sad, frustrated and helpless on the condition of these people that many times I end up in tears. But, I still avoid paying money since I don't want to encourage it. Some use their physical disability, some use their disease, some use their age to ask money. Overall speaking Indian beggars use pity, or their grief to gain money. Sometimes its real, fake other times. When I use to see beggars in India, I use to feel in developed countries this problem might be absent. Well, now I am in Paris, in developed country.

I don't know about other developed nations or big cities but I have seen some beggars in Paris.  They are not many but considering population here they are not less too. There might be many reasons behind presence of these people in Paris. Mostly they are illegal migrants, refugees, or jobless people.  I don't know if I should call them beggars. Because many times they are not asking money for free. They perform some act, music, puppet show, singing, playing musical instrument, dance. Generally, I see them at underground metro stations or at some famous tourist places. They have fixed routes, trains where they perform. So if you travel on same routes you can find them again and again. I observed that they are innovative in their performance. They try to make it complete act. I saw that most of them come with background music in their mobile and with speakers on trolly. They play music at background and sing a song or play instrument.

One day in Metro I saw an old man came with saxophone and speaker and some background music. And then he played it so well that it changed whole environment in bogie. On another day I saw a puppet show. I was amazed to see how that man used poles inside train for his purpose and performed 2 min play. That was real fun. At another metro station, two girls were playing violin. Their synchro was great. After their act they ask for money. If somebody pay money they very happily says Merci. Thank you. Most of the time nobody give anything. But, I never seen any unhappiness on their face. Specially I remember one man who plays an instrument. I don't know instruments name. But I remember that man for the happiness on his face when he is playing it. Its like he is neither expecting money nor he is playing it for others. He appears so happy that he is playing it for his inner peace. But I know he need money and performs the acts for money. So, when I see these artists, (I should not call them beggars), asking for money and nobody pays anything, still I feel pain.

In both the cases, in India and in Paris, I feel pain of this act of asking for money. In both the cases they ask for money but their ways are extremely different. I have sympathy for first case and respect for second.  One day, I wish nobody will have money problems in the world and these artists will play for themselves.








 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public Transpotation in Paris

Paris is famous for its museum, for Eiffel tower, as a city of romance but also it is famous for its best ever public transport service. City is divided in various zones. There are four ways of transportation, bus, metro, tram and RER (it is a railway). But the best part is they are well connected with each other. For regular travelers it is possible to buy just one Navigo card. It is the pass or card, by using which it is possible to travel by any of the above means in any zone of the city. So good thing is, it is literally possible to travel at any part of the city without carrying a single cent for complete one month.  Based on zones and the tracks of metro, tram etc. city maps are available. These maps are elaborate and self-explanatory. Once understood how to read, then it is possible to roam at any part of city without opening mouth. Tram or metro are running at every 3 to 5 minutes. So waiting is minimal. Inside the metro, or tram or RER, all stations on that root are

Go Australia

I started this blog to express my views, experience of the world and my world. I don't want to make it travel blog but many times I travel to some places and I cannot resist myself to write about it. I recently came to Perth, Australia. This is my first journey towards East side of India or Australian continent. I came by Mumbai - Singapore - Perth. At first I must say Mumbai airport is very good. I can compare it with any other great airports of the world. Processes are smooth, no confusion at any point. Well done Mumbai. Flight from Mumbai to Singapore was great. At the first time I saw Mumbai from top. It looks cool although, there is big slum area near airport. It does not look good. But, Queen's necklace, Bandra Worli sea link looks awesome. When you see something from top, you get a complete different perpective. We suddenly realize that there are other dimensions to the world. Ok let me not get started on philosophy. The flight to Singapore was cool. After cros

Mahabalipuram: The Land of Mahabali

I am writing again after another six months. I have to keep visiting here regular. Actually, initial plan was to add at least one post per month but it appears that even it is difficult. I will try to stick this plan although lot of things coming up in next few days. I will discuss it in next post. I started this blog to share my experiences in life, wherever I stay. Currently I am in Chennai and I am sharing my life here. I don’t want to make it a travel blog. Generally I tend to do that more may be it is human tendency . :)  Recently I visited Mahabalipuram a small town near Chennai just 55 Km away. It was second trip. When I first visited, I was thinking I am visiting just another temple place. For those who don’t know, there are many old and beautiful temples in Tamil-Nadu. But, I am not big fan of temples. Why? Well not now on this. I rather avoid discussing religious topics. Mahabalipuram is different and very beautiful place to visit. I am happy that I went there. It