Skip to main content

Holika Dhahan



There is March already, we have some festival coming in next few days. Today here at Maharastra we celebrate a festival "Holika". And tomorrow it is Festival of Holi (Festival of colors). Although Holi is becoming very popular festival internationally and many people visit India just to enjoy holi, this post is not about Holi but its about Holika. Note the difference in the name.

I feel that all Indian festivals are designed so that people in society should gather and mix up with each other. Good news is its holiday tomorrow and its a long weekend. After long time I will be celebrating Holika. It is very interesting festival. Like all other Hindu festivals, it is about victory of good over bad. This time it is about victory of good within over the evil within us. On internet there are many stories how Holika started and so I will not discuss it here.

Indians believe that fire is pure. It burns evil and what remains is pure. Anything that survives fire is pure. We all know story of Sita from Ramayana. So during Holika, we set stack of cow dung cakes. In the evening many people from society gathers at one place, do the puja/archana and burn it. There is tradition of running around the fire and shout loudly. Shouting symbolize that if we have some complaints about something or somebody we say it and burn it, clear our mind for everybody and start over again. When I was kid, I and my cousins use to enjoy it so much. Its a official day for shouting and playing with fire. What else kids want. 😃 And there use to be a "Timki". It is a sort of drum specially made for Holika dhahan. During childhood we use to buy it and beat it like anything. We use to beat till either it breaks or till somebody use to shout us for the noise. This is the thing I really like.  Wow, I really miss those days. And this does not end here. There use to be sweet Chapati, Puran poli. Puran poli is sweet made specially on Holika. Many people in India don't know about this sweet food. I feel really sorry for them. They don't know what they are missing. My mother cooks it so well. She is the master in it. And guess what, she is here today and I am having it today. 

Today, Holika dhahan is performed at many places but the tradition is reducing. As far as environment is concerned it is better to keep it at low because Holika dahan causes pollution. So we need to create a balance. We want both. Traditional festivals should be alive and also environment should not get polluted. After-all life is about balance. I will try to upload photos if possible, till then enjoy..Happy Holika.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Public Transpotation in Paris

Paris is famous for its museum, for Eiffel tower, as a city of romance but also it is famous for its best ever public transport service. City is divided in various zones. There are four ways of transportation, bus, metro, tram and RER (it is a railway). But the best part is they are well connected with each other. For regular travelers it is possible to buy just one Navigo card. It is the pass or card, by using which it is possible to travel by any of the above means in any zone of the city. So good thing is, it is literally possible to travel at any part of the city without carrying a single cent for complete one month.  Based on zones and the tracks of metro, tram etc. city maps are available. These maps are elaborate and self-explanatory. Once understood how to read, then it is possible to roam at any part of city without opening mouth. Tram or metro are running at every 3 to 5 minutes. So waiting is minimal. Inside the metro, or tram or RER, all stations on that root are

Go Australia

I started this blog to express my views, experience of the world and my world. I don't want to make it travel blog but many times I travel to some places and I cannot resist myself to write about it. I recently came to Perth, Australia. This is my first journey towards East side of India or Australian continent. I came by Mumbai - Singapore - Perth. At first I must say Mumbai airport is very good. I can compare it with any other great airports of the world. Processes are smooth, no confusion at any point. Well done Mumbai. Flight from Mumbai to Singapore was great. At the first time I saw Mumbai from top. It looks cool although, there is big slum area near airport. It does not look good. But, Queen's necklace, Bandra Worli sea link looks awesome. When you see something from top, you get a complete different perpective. We suddenly realize that there are other dimensions to the world. Ok let me not get started on philosophy. The flight to Singapore was cool. After cros

Mahabalipuram: The Land of Mahabali

I am writing again after another six months. I have to keep visiting here regular. Actually, initial plan was to add at least one post per month but it appears that even it is difficult. I will try to stick this plan although lot of things coming up in next few days. I will discuss it in next post. I started this blog to share my experiences in life, wherever I stay. Currently I am in Chennai and I am sharing my life here. I don’t want to make it a travel blog. Generally I tend to do that more may be it is human tendency . :)  Recently I visited Mahabalipuram a small town near Chennai just 55 Km away. It was second trip. When I first visited, I was thinking I am visiting just another temple place. For those who don’t know, there are many old and beautiful temples in Tamil-Nadu. But, I am not big fan of temples. Why? Well not now on this. I rather avoid discussing religious topics. Mahabalipuram is different and very beautiful place to visit. I am happy that I went there. It